Walk-A-thon is Saturday

The Kiwanis Club of Ridgecrest will hold its 31st annual Community Walk-A-Thon Saturday, Sept. 29, departing from LeRoyJackson Park at 8 a.m.

The event raised about $25,000 each year, with 75 percent benefiting special needs in local schools, including field trips, school supplies and class projects. The remaining 25 percent supports local youth-service programs, including the Kiwanis Child Spree and scholarships.

Since 1987 the event has raised more than $750,000.

Businesses also compete to see who donates the most money, and their names are added to a perpetual plaque they can display in the coming year.

“The Walk-A-Thon gives local students the opportunity to serve their community and schools by involving themselves in a worth- while activity that provides significant benefits to our local children,” said the spokesperson.

The event is supported by the Burroughs High School Key Club, which organizes the activities and refreshments at the event.

For more information contact Jennifer Dunmire at 442-243-1656 or jsaxton87@gmail.com.

Donations can still be made after the conclusion of the event.

Story First Published: 2018-09-28