Fee increase, TAB funds on council agenda
News Review Staff Writer
A minor increase in the fee for trash and recycling service, allocation of TAB funds for economic development and a public hearing on a landscape and lighting district are among the items on the agenda for tonight’s meeting of the Ridgecrest City Council.
A resolution to approve the revised rate request for solid waste services — currently provided by Waste Management — follows the schedule and process outlined in the hauler’s contract with the city, according to a staff report.
According to a cost sheet provided by the vendor, all prices will increase by 1.8 percent. For residents currently paying $15.32 per month for service, the adjusted cost will be $15.60.
Economic Development Pro-gram Manager Gary Parsons will present a resolution regarding the proposed use for the $2 million in Tax Allocation Bonds that were set aside for economic development.
Although specific projects are not listed in the agenda, the resolution states that $1 million will be spent on “industrial development,” $500,000 will be spent on “retail development,” $250,000 will be spent on “property abatement program,” $55,000 will be spent on “city signage matching funds,” and $195,000 has already been approved and expended.
A public hearing will be regarding the landscape and lighting district imposed on the D.R. Horton housing tract (located in College Heights) in 2012. The city will also hear resolutions related to confirming the annual report and to levying and collecting the fees.
Finance Director Rachelle McQuiston is expected to present budget projections for fiscal year 2013-14.
The council will present a proclamation recognizing Motorcycle Awareness Week. Bret Harmon of Muni-Serivces will present an update on the city sales tax and economic review.
Items on the consent calendar include:
• Resolution rejecting all bids on a construction contract for Federal Safe Routes to School
• Resolution approving professional services with Wildan Engineering to provide construction management for rehabilitation of Sunland Avenue
• Resolution approving a processional services agreement with PMC World for a housing element update
• Resolution granting easements to Southern California Edison
• Acceptance of the Quarterly Investment Report
• Resolution approving salary schedules for employee classification
• Resolution authorizing a property purchase
• Resolution designating voting delegates and alternates for the League of California Cities conference
The meeting will be held at 6 p.m. in Ridgecrest City Council Chambers. The public is invited to attend.
Proceedings will be broadcast live on Mediacom channels 6 and 41, and streamed on the city’s website, www.ridgecrest-ca.gov.Story First Published: 2014-05-21