Seniors offered free E-file tax return preparation by IWV Senior Services

Seniors offered free E-file tax return preparation by IWV Senior ServicesDebbie Taylor of Senior Ser-vices of I.W.V. announces that this year the agency is offering free E-file tax-preparation assistance for seniors. The agency has provided this service to here for more than 20 years through the IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance and the Tax Counseling for the Elderly Programs with conjunction of the American Association of Retired Persons. The tax program begins in February 2013.

Any senior interested in taking advantage of these free services must make an appointment by calling Taylor at 760-375-2352.

Taxes are prepared at the Ridgecrest Senior Center, Mondays and Wednesdays 9-11:30 a.m.; and at the Senior Services of I.W.V. office, Saturdays, 9 a.m.-1 p.m.

Items a senior needs to bring to the VITA/TCE site to have tax returns prepared include:

• Proof of identification — Picture ID

• Social Security cards for you, your spouse and dependents or a Social Security Number verification letter issued by the Social Security Administration or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) assignment letter for you, your spouse and dependents

• Proof of foreign status, if you are applying for an ITIN

• Birth dates for you, your spouse and dependents on the tax return

• Wage and earning statement(s) Form W-2, W-2G, 1099-R and 1099-Misc from all employers

• Interest and dividend statements from banks (Forms 1099)

• A copy of last year’s federal and state returns if available

• Proof of bank account routing numbers and account numbers for direct deposit, such as a blank check

• Total paid for a daycare provider and the daycare provider’s tax identifying number (the provider’s Social Security Number or the provider’s business Employer Identification Number) if appropriate

To file taxes electronically on a married-filing-joint tax return, both spouses must be present to sign the required forms.

It is extremely important that each person use the correct Social Security Number. If you do not have an SSN for you or a dependent, you should complete Form SS-5, Social Security Number Application. This form should be submitted to the nearest Social Security Administration Office.

The VITA Program generally offers free tax help to people who make $50,000 or less and need assistance in preparing their own tax returns. IRS-certified volunteers provide free basic income tax return preparation to individuals in local communities. These volunteers can inform taxpayers about special tax credits for which they may qualify such as Earned Income Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Credit for the Elderly or the Disabled.

The TCE Program offers free tax help for all with priority assistance to people who are 60 years of age and older, specializing in questions about pensions and retirement issues unique to seniors. IRS-certified volunteers who provide tax counseling are often retired individuals associated with nonprofit organizations such as Senior Services of I.W.V.

Story First Published: 2013-01-16