Kiwanis to hold 25th Walkathon

The Kiwanis Community Walk-A-Thon has reached the quarter century mark of service to our community this year. During the past 25 years, the Kiwanis Walk-A-Thon has raised approximately $500,000 for our children and local schools.

This year’s Walk-A-Thon is set for Saturday, Sept. 29, at 8 a.m. at LeRoy Jackson Park.

The motto for the Walk-A-Thon is “Miles for Smiles.” Some 75 percent of the net proceeds from the Walk-A-Thon go directly to local schools supporting the program. The remaining 25 percent of the net proceeds go to youth service programs of the Kiwanis Club of Ridgecrest.

The students in the Walk-A-Thon compete for prizes based on how much money they raise. All students who complete the walk also receive prizes when they cross the finish line.

Last year’s Walk-A-Thon raised more than $27,500 for our schools and Kiwanis Youth Service projects. The proceeds from the Walk-A-Thon represent more than $1 for every man, woman and child in the city of Ridgecrest.

More than 250 children participate in the two-and-a-half-mile walk annually.

Walk-A-Thon Chairman Dean Elliot described the Kiwanis project as “a wonderful event that brings people together to serve their schools and community.”

The schools compete to earn the most money, with each school receiving a proportionate share of what their students raised in contributions.

The top school gets a plaque and is listed for that year on a perpetual plaque.

For more information call Elliot at 760-375-4623 or Virginia Henry at 760-377-0010.

Story First Published: 2012-09-26